Sometimes it can be hard to find happiness. Below are some ways to find your smile.
1. Exercise –
I can’t say enough about exercise.
- It helps control weight. Who can’t benefit from losing a couple of pounds or at least maintaining your current weight?
- Improves your mood. When you exercise your body releases chemicals called endorphins which create feelings of happiness and euphoria boost energy. I don’t know about you but I can use all the energy I can get. Studies have shown that people who exercise regularly benefit with a positive boost in their mood and a lower rate of depression.
- You fall asleep faster and sleep more soundly. Just don’t exercise too close to bed time.
2. Call or visit a friend that you haven’t seen or talked to in a while-
Friends are our confidants as well as our sounding board. They listen to us share our fears, concerns, joys and heartaches. They are a shoulder to cry on or they give a much needed hug. They can make you laugh. I have several friends that I know when I call them I will end up laughing.
3. Watch a funny movie-
Laughing reduces stress hormones and increases immune cell and infection-fighting antibodies and as a result improves your resistance to disease. Laughter also triggers the release of endorphins. The movies Elf and Money Pit are my go to movies if I want to laugh.
4. Make your favorite meal or dessert –
Many people find joy being in the kitchen and cooking. It can be relaxing and a way to spend time with a loved one. And let’s face it, chocolate anything can’t help but put you in a better mood.
5. Have an attitude of gratitude-
While during difficult or stressful times it may be hard to find things that make you feel grateful but by acknowledging them they can put you in a better frame of mind like making you feel happier. During and after my divorce it was hard to feel grateful for a while but I would write in a journal things that I was grateful for in my life. Some days I wrote more than others but over time it came more easily to find things to write in my journal: a roof over my head, my kids good health, my job, my family and friends. Writing down why you are grateful helps you have a better attitude about life. When you express gratitude you will be happier.
6. Play with your kids or act like a kid if you don’t have kids –
Acting like a kid can remind us of what it’s like to be carefree. If you watch kids on the playground they are running around smiling and laughing without a care in the world. When was the last time that you went swinging on a playground? It is such a release to fly into the air and feel the wind in your hair and on your face.
7. Choose to be happy by smiling-
You know the saying “fake it till you make it?” That is very true of smiling. When you smile, even if you’re faking it, your brain doesn’t know the difference and will interpret it the same as a real smile. Smiling triggers your body to release endorphins that are responsible for making you happy as well as lower stress levels.
Do you have other ways to have more happiness in your life? Let me know what you do.