When was the last time that you stopped and gave thanks for all that you have in your life?
It’s easy to feel grateful when things are going well. It’s not so easy when times are tough. However, we have many reasons to be thankful. We have a home, a bed, food for our families, our health, clean water and modern conveniences. I read that having an attitude of gratitude is expressing thankfulness and appreciation for all aspects of our life whether they be big or small.
Focus on what you have rather than what you don’t have. Notice simple pleasures and acknowledge everything that you receive.
Showing gratitude for the things in our lives will result in us wanting less.
My son, as is not surprising for a 7 year old, has a hard time remembering to be grateful for all the things in his life. I remind him that he has two homes, wants for nothing, always has food and has two loving parents.
And I guess me repeating this over and over finally got through to him because the other night while we were taking a walk he says “I’m so lucky! I have two homes and food!”
Sometimes we have to remind ourselves of why we should feel grateful for all that we have in our lives.
Keeping a gratitude journal helps me remember. When my ex-husband and I first separated it was hard to find reasons to feel grateful. I started keeping a gratitude journal. In the beginning I could only list 2 or 3 things. As time went on I was able to keep adding to the list. Now it’s very long.
Currently, I used to list general things but I recently saw a suggestion that to keep it fresh and help you stay alert for grateful moments be more specific. So instead of saying that I’m grateful for my job I write that I’m grateful that my job allows me to work from home in the afternoons so that I can be home with my children.
Praying also helps me to remember. Every night before I go to sleep I pray. The first thing I pray is how thankful I am for my children and their good health. I would rather be sick than have one of my children sick. I have such empathy for the parents of children that have cancer or some other devastating illness. No parent or child should ever have to go through that kind of heart break and anguish.
The second thing that I pray is how thankful I am for my family and friends. I’m so blessed to have such a loving and supportive group of friends and family.
I firmly believe that because I end my day this way I fall asleep faster and stay asleep longer.
Showing others gratitude is a wonderful way to feel more satisfied and contentment in your life.
Here are a few ways you can show gratitude to others:
- Write a thank you note to someone that has inspired you, helped you or gave you a gift. Let them know how much you appreciate them and if they gave a gift mention the gift.
- Do an unexpected act of kindness for someone in your life whether it be a best friend or a coworker just because. You may just make that person’s day by showing them love and kindness.
- Give praise freely. Acknowledge someone if you received good service or that person helped you carry something to your car or some other kind gesture.
- Say thank you. Whether someone does something big or small tell them thank you. Saying thank you goes a long way.
- Greet people with a smile. Smiles are contagious and you can help happiness and gratitude spread to others.
Shoot me a message and let me know how you show gratitude.